This blueberry pie crumble has beets mixed in the main filling, so it's quite a healthy twist to the traditional pie or streusel, but very delicious! There's just enough sweetness to satisfy your craving, with a delightful hint of citrus lemon, and almond to balance out the earthy-fruit flavour and rich crust combination.
180g (1 1/2 cups) All-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting surface
100g (1 stick) unsalted butter (chilled)
1 tablespoon coconut sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon water
pinch of kosher salt
45g (1/4 cup) icing sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
1 teaspoon lemon zest
25g (1/4 cup) roasted red beets, chopped small (the size of blueberries)
500g-700g (or 3 cups-5 cups) Maine blueberries - frozen
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 1/2 tablespoons icing sugar/confectioners' sugar
60g (or 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons) All-purpose flour
Yield: Serves 4-6, or 4 generous servings
Prep: 10 min. Bake: 35-40 minutes 180 C / 350 F
- Making the pastry: combine the flour, butter, kosher salt, brown sugar and coconut sugar in a food processor. Mix on a medium speed for about 20-25 seconds, until the mixture has a loose soil texture. Gradually add 1 tablespoon water in the food processor as it's running, until the mixture comes together into a dough. Check the dough. You may need to add a little more flour or water.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll the dough into a rough circle. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, pour in the blueberries and beets together. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon icing sugar on top. Mix for about 5 seconds with a spoon. Set aside.
- Next, make filling: mix together the egg yolks, icing sugar, fresh squeezed lemon juice, almond extract, and lemon zest in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine the crumble ingredients until the mixture has a sand-like consistency. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Take out dough/pastry. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the chilled pastry to a thin layer (approx. 4 mm). Next, line the base of a 4 cm or 5 cm deep, 20–25 cm round ceramic baking dish with the pastry.
- Spread the filling over the base, then fill it with the blueberries and chopped beets, and disperse crumble mixture on top. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the pastry is browned, and some of the crumble is browned slightly. Serve warm with a dollop of fresh cream.
Side notes: you can buy frozen beets, or beet slices already cut if you prefer. You may need to add an additional 5-10 minutes to cooking time if frozen. I used the convection oven. *Step 2 alternative: after rolling out dough, it can also be chilled in your baking dish if you prefer. Pressing the dough and forming it with your hands in a thin layer in your baking dish or baking tin, build up dough on sides of baking dish for extra crust. Then, place in freezer for 30 min.